Thursday, January 5, 2012

May The Force Be... Family?

  So I had this super sad dream last night, but I won't go into that. Anyway, it led me to a conversation with one of my brothers this morning. Things aren't exactly as awesome as they could...scratch that- will be, and it all got me thinking. As a teary eyed mess, who typically hauls ass away from emotions a.s.a.p, I came to a startling realization: I'm here for family! The absolute most important thing to me, in this universe is my immediate family. That includes my sister-in-law types too. I'm not concerned about me, outside of them. I'd subject myself to the worse neighborhood ever, but I don't even want to drive my niece through one.
   This is startling to me because I wanted sooo badly to be selfish, and pursue my own twenty-something happiness. Plus I think it might be considered psychologically unhealthy. So you can see why finding that my happiness is closely intertwined with their happiness, was an "aww dammiit" moment. Now, I know it's normal to want your family to be happy, but I didn't know that I was one of those people who are DRIVEN solely by the needs of the family unit. Seriously, I have no other drive that's stronger than to see them flourish.
   That led me to another strange realization. I don't care if I never get married! I could've sworn it was super important to me, but it's...not. What the frock man?! All these years, and all these fantasies about my wedding outdoors, in Colombia, and my colorful Indian style reception, are like nothing to me, relatively speaking. As I get older, I daydream about weekly family dinners that we ALL gladly attend and share, no matter where we drive or fly from; full family vacations and camping trips at least every other month; high school senior, and college expenses handled with ease; starting new traditions;  just my family all beautifully taken care of and joyously together. I know I sound extra cheesey, but it's what drives me. It's what propels me to pursue something greater in life, second only to God Himself (and trust me, I'm not religious); so I suppose there's my healthy balance. Instead of them holding me back, they push me to be better, if only for them.
   Well, third in line are the world. I wanna save it... but I think I'll start with the family first. Maybe down the line I'll add another member to the family, in the "Shape of: Hot man! Form of: My awesome Boyfrusband!". Get it? Huh? "Wonder Twin powers: ACTIVATE!"? No? Sorry ( hangs head and shuffles away slowly).


No comments:

Post a Comment